Details for Undergraduates
Undergraduate participants in the program:
- Work with a graduate mentor for 3-5 hours per week in the spring semester
- Get exposure to a lab environment and learn the basics of working in a lab, testing a hypothesis, and analyzing data
- Participate in a weekly seminar course
- Make a poster about your experience, and present it together with your graduate mentor at the end of the semester
1. The successful applicant will be a freshman or sophomore engineering student and
- have completed one semester of engineering coursework, including one CU science course (e.g. CHEN 1211 or PHYS 1110) and be enrolled in a second science course in spring 2011
- have completed one of the following math courses: APPM 1340, 1345, 1350, 1360, 2350, or 2360
- a minimum 2.75 overall GPA
- one full semester of engineering at CU-Boulder, if you are a transfer student
- preference given to those who have completed GEEN 1300, 1400 or 1500 or other departmental introductory courses
2. On the application, you will be asked to select your top choices for research interests to determine the best graduate match for you.
3. Submit your application using the link at the bottom of the page. Please answer all application questions for your application to be considered.
4. Applications will be reviewed and then matched with a graduate student, based on your major and research interest.
5. Applicants will be notified.
Please note that you cannot save an incomplete application. Before filling out the online application, we recommend that you prepare answers to the following questions:
- Please write a short paragraph describing a more specific engineering area of interest that you would like to do research in and why you are interested in that area. Examples of these could include biomedical, air pollution control, medical device design etc.
- What strategies do you use in order to keep organized?
- What are some technical or personal areas that you would like to improve? Examples of these could include writing skills, organization, time management etc.
- What is your motivation for wanting to apply to the program?
- Please list three things you wish to gain from this experience.
- What expectations would you have of your graduate mentor?
- Have you ever been a mentee or participated in a similar program?