Requirements for Scholarship Renewal for Student Entering 2014-2015
**2015-2016 requirements will be the same as the current requirements for 14-15
(For scholarship requirements from previous years, see the FAQ page.)
To view a printable version for freshman scholarship recipients, click here.
To view a printable version for returning scholarship recipients, click here.
Requirement 1: Make Academic Progress
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours each semester, taking appropriate coursework to fulfill the requirements of an engineering degree program in the College
- Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.800 by the end of the first and second year, then maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.000 thereafter.
- Meet once per semester with a BOLD Center Director to discuss academic progress and success strategies
- Take mandatory academic courses – for first-year students only. BOLD Scholars must complete one of the following courses during the first year:
- GEEN 1400 – First-Year Engineering Projects
- ECEN 1400 – Electrical and Computer Engineering Project
- ASEN 1400 – Gateway to Space
- COEN 1410 – Design for Sustainable Communities (spring semester only, for selected RAPs)
All courses will count for required or elective credits toward your degree. First-year CU Engineering students may take no more than 17 credits hours during their first semester. Students with questions & concerns about their course load or course options should contact Vanessa Dunn (Vanessa.Dunn@colorado.edu, 303-492-8809)
- BOLD Scholars are also highly encouraged (but not required) to use the BOLD Student Success Center free tutoring and to participate in Math Workgroup courses.
Requirement 2: Contribute to the BOLD Community
To meet others on campus, network with industry professionals, and find your on-campus family in the BOLD Center’s community, BOLD Scholars must:
- Be an active member in one of the diversity-serving student societies (AISES, NSBE, SAGE, SHPE/MAES, SASE, SWE, or WIC)
- Attend the August BOLD Center Welcome (during Week of Welcome; required in first year ONLY)
- Attend the BOLD Center C (annually in spring semester)
- Attend other events required by your Scholarship Donor (if applicable)
- Volunteer 5 hours (First-Year) or 10 hours (Returners)
Examples of Volunteer Opportunities:
- K-12 Events: volunteer at Diversity Sampler, Girls Explore Engineering Day, Minorities Explore Engineering Day, or other on-campus events providing diverse K-12 youth with hands-on activities, panels, and campus tours
- TEAMS (Tomorrow’s Engineers… creAte. iMagine. Succeed) Program: volunteer at programs for local schools with which the BOLD Center has partnered with
- Girl Scout Badge Days: support Saturday on-campus events for Girl Scouts to earn engineering badges
- Other BOLD Activities: Volunteer for BOLD-sponsored activities (includes activities with student societies)
Requirement 3: Develop Professional Skills
- Attend 3 Professional Development Events hosted by the BOLD Center or approved by your BOLD Director (ex: Power Hours)
- Send a Thank You letter to your Scholarship Donor. The College Scholarship Coordinator will match you to a scholarship donor. You must write an appreciation letter to this donor before the Fall semester (details provided by Coordinator).